Sunday, November 11, 2012

Blog Post 11


Blog



Little Kids... Big Potential

Little Kids...Big Potential is a video created by Mrs. Cassidy's first grade class. They are teaching the world about how they use technology in their classrooms for learning. The student's use their blogs and other's blogs to learn about different subject topics. They say they like them because they get better at their writing every time they post something new. They use webpages and wikis to find and learn about things on the internet. The class even made their own wiki about the alphabet. They create and share videos about what they have learned in school. Skype is used by Mrs. Cassidy's class to talk to people educationally around the world. Each student uses their Nintendo DS to learn, problem solve, and practice sharing.

Skype with Mrs. Cassidy

In the February 2010, EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama was able to Skype with Mrs. Cassidy about technology and why she uses it in her classroom. She explains that she got involved with technology about ten years ago when she was given five computers in their classroom. She tells us about her support system she has with the technology and how her students love it. The technology that she uses in her classroom keeps growing and developing along with the technology.

I enjoyed these videos because it shows that elementary school students even as young as first grade can use technology to learn. I think that children blogging and using the internet to learn is a great tool for students. It will help them be successful in their futures. I liked Mrs. Cassidy's approach to technology because it is grade appropriate. Some of the other video that I have watched I did not really agree with for that reason. I thought they were too hard for students of elementary level but not Mrs. Cassidy's approach. Blogging in the classroom both from the teacher and the students is important because for one it is a great tool for the parents to see what their children are doing and learning about. I would definitely using blogging in my classroom. Secondly, like Mrs. Cassidy said it is a portfolio of the children's work they can always have. Skyping with experts is also a great tool for teaching your students because they can hear the testimony from someone personal experiences. Just like what Dr. Strange did for us on his Skype with Ms. Cassidy I really liked the Nintendo DS because the students were using so many developmental skills like learning, problem solving, and sharing which are all important for personal growth as a student and as a successful person. Plus out of all the technology for the classroom videos that I have watched for EDM 310, I have never heard of using a Nintendo DS in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    I loved your picture that you used for this post. I found that your picture was sourced. Both of the videos were linked and they also worked. I did find that part one of this post was choppy. There were no personal feelings or thoughts included. I didn't find any grammar or spelling errors in the first part. i think that if you included some transitional sentences or your own thoughts the paragraph would have flowed a little better. Your second part had a few errors that I noticed. I think you just missed putting some work within your sentences or you changed something and didn't delete your first thought fully. Your were very informative and well-versed when discussing Mrs. Cassidy and her classroom. There were a some commas missing and a few spelling errors. Overall I think your post was good and if I hadn't watched the videos, I would be able to understand Mrs. Cassidy's approach to using technology in her classroom.

    ReplyDelete