Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blog Post #10

Technology

I'm a Papermate. I'm a Ticonderoga.

I am going to be completely honest I really did not understand this cartoon when I first looked at it. Then, I read the comments and Mr. Spencer explained it. The cartoon is mocking the old commercials about Mac vs. PC. I'm a Papermate is the cheaper and more of the economic purchase like a PC. But it might not be the best choice in the long run. I'm a Ticonderoga is representing a Mac. I think this is a very clever metaphor. And once I got it I enjoyed it. I think this metaphor is very realistic.

Why Were Your Kids Playing Games?

This post is about Mr. Spencer getting called into the principal's office because the principal thought the children were not learning. While in the principal's office, the principal tells Mr. Spencer that he can not have the kids play games and he has to teach. Mr. Spencer explains that he was using advanced simulation with his students just like the doctors use in learning how to operate. Then, the principal says that they weren't in a hospital. They need to focus on having their students pass the memorization style tests so they need to practice those skills. Then, he suggested worksheets and algorithms to Mr. Spencer. Mr. Spencer's solution is " we'll create an algorithm factory and integrate it into our conflict-oriented reading and writing project (A.K.A The Factory Game).

I enjoyed this post I thought it was hilarious. Mr. Spencer made it sound like the principal was stuck in his old ways by using the slate-based learning. Mr. Spencer seems to try and think outside the box and have his students learn and have fun. It seems like this is important to him which is a good quality to have as a teacher. I really enjoy his writing style in his posts.

I chose to read Mr. Spencer's post Remembering Pencil Quests? . In this post, Mr. Spencer is in his sophomore year as a student and his teacher set him and his classmates on a pencil quest. The students seem to like the adventure that they got to go on with the pencil quest. Mr. Spencer explains that his teacher was the pioneer since they were doing something different. He tells us that how his students now are excited about their plogs and pen pal networks.

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

Mr. Scott McLeod wears several "hats". He is the founder of UCEA Center of Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), host of the website, Dangerously Irrelevant, and director of Innovation at the Prairie Lakes Area Education Agency. Through his professions you can see that he favors technology.

McLeod's post makes fun of parents and educator that are technological illiterate. He favors technology in a classroom and at home. You can tell that he thinks that children with technology have a better chance of being successful over children that do not have experience with technology. When I was reading through the comments,I found that people thought that he was against technology.




2 comments:

  1. One thing to watch for as you edit your work is properly using quotations. When you have a quote, the first word needs to be capitalized. Also there is a comma before and after the quote in most cases.

    'Mr. Spencer's solution is " we'll create an algorithm...' This should be: Mr. Spencer's solution is, "We'll create...",

    Another thing is just simple revision. 'comments,I found' There should be a space in between the comma and the word, "I."

    I really agree with your agree with you that McLeod's post is making fun of uneducated people. He makes a really valid point about technology providing a leg-up in successfulness for the future.

    This is a really good post. I can tell you spent some time on this post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful. Interesting. Well done.

    Mr. Spencer uses satire and metaphors. Dr. Mcleod uses sarcasm. As you noticed, many students miss understand the use of these writing techniques. Watch for a detailed explanation in the class blog next week.

    ReplyDelete