Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog Post #8

Education



This is How We Dream

This video by Richard Miller is done in two parts. Part 1 explains how writing has changed academically and culturally. Communication has also changed. It now can be done instantly and globally. Richard Miller explains how we use to write, work, research, and publish. We use to write and work with pens and paper, do research in libraries, and publish in print. Now we write and work with laptops and word processors, and do research on the web without even leaving our homes. If we have a question, we can find our answers in a matter of seconds by using the web.

In Part 2 of this video, he explains how we now work in a digital world. Things are composed with not only words but with visuals and sounds. Documents have images, videos, and audio clips. Research is being updated frequently and instantly unlike books and prints.

He says, “Ideas do not only belong to the individual, but ideas belong to the culture. We, as educators, should spread these ideas.” That was my favorite and most interesting thing I found that he said because teachers are suppose to teach their students about new or old and exciting ideas. I agree with the video that writing is changing; but it has been changing my whole generation. I think that schools should still teach students how a library works and the wonders that it holds. I know that you can find most things on the web. Teachers should also teach how to use the internet and good sources. But there is still history and culture in a library that cannot be found on the internet. I agree with Richard Miller that writing, work, research, and publishing is changing.

Carly Pugh

Carly Pugh's blog post was very impressive. I think she did a very good job on the assignment. Her assignment was to post about an assignment she thought Dr. Strange should have assigned his class to do. She went above and beyond the assignment. She explained the details of the assignment and how to do it. Then, she gave an example of her playlist like a good teacher would do. A playlist is a great and helpful tool for teachers and their classrooms. She applies Dr. Miller's writing process with multi-media. She uses links and Youtube for her different technology outlets. I think she did exactly what Dr. Miller was explaining in his videos.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies

These two video are very cute. Dr. Strange suggested these videos for us to watch at the beginning of semester. When I watched these videos back in August, I didn't find them as funny as I do now probably because I was more scared of the class then than I am now. Back then, I was worried that I would not be able to do anything that we were suppose to, but now I know that I can.

If I were to do a video, I think that the music and the message are the most important parts. The message is important because in education you want your audience to learn something in the video. And music because it gets the attention of your audience and keeps the attention of your audience so they can pay attention and really understand the message of your video. I remember when I was in class and the teacher brought in a video for us to watch. When a catchy little song comes on the whole class starts to pay attention and bobs their head to the beat. I think the music and the message of a video goes hand and hand.


Learn to Change, Change to Learn

In this video, Learn to Change, Change to Learn, it explains that there is a change in learning. 21st century learning is different because types of jobs are changing in the future. Students will need to know how to find information, collaborate, and problem solve, not just have knowledge.

Someone said, "This is the death of education, but the dawn of learning." I found this quote very interesting because I have heard someone say something very similar to this before. If this is true, school should change their curriculum and how they are testing students. Because this to me is saying that its not about the knowledge that you hold but it is the knowledge of the ability to find the answers and problem solve with it. I think they are right that learning is changing and the school should change with it. I hope to teach elementary school, but I do not think they should change it in elementary school because students still need to be taught the fundamentals of learning for several years. I think that method would be great for middle school students, high school students, and even college students.


Scavenger Hunt

Prezi- A prezi is a presentation and storytelling tool that uses a single canvas and not slides. You create a path that the prezi goes by. You can add images, powerpoints, videos, text, shapes, frames, and more. You can sign up for the free prezi, $4.92/monthly, or $13.25/monthly for the pro edition. They come with helpful videos to help you create and understand prezi. This is a great tool for teacher and students. I think is much more creative than a power point.

Animoto- Animoto is a site that lets you create videos using pictures, video clips, and music that you can share with everyone. For pricing, there is a free one that lets you make 30 second videos,there a Plus Plan for $2.50/month and a Pro Plan for $20.75/month which both offer different features. I think I will have to try one of these in my classroom in the future.

PollEverywhere- Poll Everywhere is a site set up for all types of polls. There are different types of plans and payments. There is a free access and then different category plans with subcategories for payments. The categories are Higher Education, K-12, One-time Use, and Business and Non-profit. Here is my first poll.




2 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. You did a very good job writing this post. There were no spelling or punctuation errors. My only suggestion is not to start a sentence with because.

    "Because this to me is saying that its not about the knowledge that you hold but it is the knowledge of the ability to find the answers and problem solve with it. I think they are right that learning is changing and the school should change with it."

    This was the only thing about your blog that I would have changed if it were mine. You did an excellent job!

    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to proofread. Everything else was fine except, unlike Keely said, there were a handful of writing errors. All are easy fixes.

    ReplyDelete